Help — Bill Payment
1. Does L@ngley Link include a Bill Payment option?
Yes, Langley Federal offers a Bill Payment option as an enhancement to L@ngley Link. However, you must enroll for this service separately. This convenient, easy to use service provides you with a method of paying your bills using the Internet, 24-hours per day.
2. What is L@ngley Link's Bill Payment Service?
LFCU's Bill Payment Service is an easy way to make payments without writing a check. This electronic service is made available pursuant to a license agreement between LFCU and CheckFree Corporation. The service requires a personal computer (PC) and is accessed through L@ngley Link, LFCU's internet account access service.
3. How much does the Bill Payment service cost?
Langley Federal is pleased to announce, beginning August 1, 2007, all Members will receive the new and improved Bill Pay service, FREE of charge.
4. Which account may I use for the Bill Payment service?
Funds are withdrawn from your Checking Account. Just as when you write a check, please be certain you have sufficient funds in your Checking Account to cover all of your scheduled payments. Bill Payment transactions are processed twice a day (Monday - Friday) at approximately 1:00 a.m. and 1:00 p.m. (EST). In most cases, your checking account will be debited for the bill payments scheduled, on the payment due date. You should also have overdraft protection in the event funds are not available in your draft/checking account. If overdraft protection is used from a share type account, the transaction will be considered a Regulation D transaction. The limit per month of Regulation D transactions is six. There is no Regulation D transaction limit if overdraft protection is used from a checking account.
If you do not have funds available, your checking account will be debited $30.00 for each bill payment made, resulting in a NSF transaction. The Bill Payment service makes two attempts on consecutive days, to withdraw funds from your checking account. After the second attempt, if funds are still not available, an additional $30.00 NSF fee will be assessed to your checking account and your access to the Free Bill Payment service will be frozen until restitution for the $30.00 NSF fees and the money to cover the cost of your bill payment(s) have been made.
5. Why can't I have bills paid from my Share or Super Share account?
By federal regulation, these accounts are classified as non-transaction accounts. Pre-authorized transfers from Share Accounts are limited and cannot be used by the Bill Payment Service.
6. Can I pay my LFCU MasterCard/VISA through this service?
Yes. Just follow the instructions in question number 14, "How do I set up a biller for payment?" You can also do a transfer through the L@ngley Link 'Transfer' tool. Choose the account you want to transfer from (e.g., S1, S11, etc.), then select the corresponding CRCD (Credit Card) account containing the last 4 numbers of your card to which you want to transfer. If you have any questions, please call our Credit Card Department at 757-825-7101 during our normal business hours.
7. Can I use more than one Checking Account to pay bills?
Yes. As you are entering the biller information, the system permits you to select another Checking Account from which the funds can be withdrawn. Your selections are limited to the Checking Accounts on the member number with which you signed onto L@ngley Link.
8. When can I use the Bill Payment service?
You may use Bill Payment virtually anytime, day or night, seven (7) days a week. On rare occasions, the Bill Payment system may be temporarily unavailable due to upgrades or technical difficulties. Our service provider, CheckFree, has designated Sunday as the weekly maintenance day. Any scheduled upgrades will occur on that day in the early morning hours, eastern standard time.
9. Can I enroll right now?
Yes. If you can log on to L@ngley Link and have a Checking Account, you can register for the Bill Payment service. New Free bill pay service begins August 1, 2007.
10. How do I register for the Bill Payment service?
Select the "Pay Bills" option from the navigation bar within L@ngley Link and respond to the questions on the enrollment form. Be sure to read the Bill Payment Terms & Conditions Agreement / Disclosure on the Langley Link sign on screen.
11. Once I've registered, when can I use the Bill Payment service?
Bill Payment will be activated immediately upon enrollment. Simply set up your billers (personal or business) and you are ready to begin enjoying the many benefits the service has to offer.
12. Who can I pay using Online Bill Pay?
You can pay anyone in the United States that you would normally pay by check or automatic debit. You can pay large companies and small companies, as well as individuals such as childcare providers or family members.
When you pay a bill, Online Bill Pay sends the payment electronically whenever possible. If the company or person cannot receive electronic payments, Online Bill Pay prints a check and sends it to the address you provide when you add your bill.
To add a company or person to your list of bills, you first select one of the following options:
- Company with an account number.
- Company without an account number.
Company with an Account Number
If you have a bill, statement, or invoice from the company you want to pay, which has a unique identifier for your account, please enter it as your account number. Your account number provides the most important information that your biller uses to credit your payments properly.
When you select the option Company with an account number, you can either:
- Search for an address match based on the company's name.
- Enter all of the information we need to make your payments: the company's name, address, phone number, and your account number.
When you add a company with an account number, you may be able to add an electronic version of your bill. An electronic bill typically contains the same information as the printed bill that is mailed to you with an account number. Check your statement for the company's name and your account number.
Company without an Account Number
If you want to make payments to a company that has not provided you with an account number, we can send payments with your name and address as identifying information. For example, if you make payments to a lawn service, they may only require your name and address information to credit your payments properly.
When you select the option Company without an account number, you can either:
- Search for the company's name and address based on the company's phone number. If possible, please do not type a wireless or an unlisted phone number.
- Enter all of the information we need to make your payments: the company's name, address, and phone number.
You can take advantage of the same Online Bill Pay features to make payments to individuals as well as to companies.
- You can make payments online instead of writing checks.
- You can keep track of all your bill payments at the Payment Center.
- You can set up an automatic schedule for your payments.
For example, you may make weekly or monthly payments to a person for housecleaning or childcare services, or you may send an allowance to a child at college. If you pay the same amount each period, you can set up an automatic schedule for your payments to avoid writing checks for each payment.
When you select the option Person, you can either:
- Search for the person's name and address based on the person's phone number. If possible, please do not type a wireless or an unlisted phone number.
- Enter all of the information we need to make your payments: the person's name, address, and phone number.
13. How long does it take to process a payment?
Many billers (businesses) are set up to receive electronic payments through the Automated Clearing House (ACH). This means, you can schedule same day or next day payments and the funds will be withdrawn from your checking account on the date the payment is due. If a biller is not set up to receive electronic payments, the bill pay service will issue a check, which will be mailed to the biller approximately 3 business days before the payment due date. In this case, funds will be withdrawn from your checking account when the biller cashes the check. The Payment Assistant, located within the Payment Center (where you schedule bills to be paid) will provide a calendar tool, which automatically displays the earliest available payment date.
14. How do I set up a biller for payment?
To add a new biller, click on the ADD A BILL button located in the main Bill Payment Center. You will then select the type of biller you would like to add (a Company with an account number, a Company without an account number or a Person) then click the Continue button and follow the easy steps to complete the biller setup. Once you have completed setting up your billers, you can immediately schedule payments!
15. What if I enter the wrong biller information?
If you have entered incorrect name or address information when adding a new biller, simply correct the information by selecting the Manage My Bills tab, located at the top of the screen in the Payment Center. Select the biller you would like to update information for, using the drop down list provided. Select the Update Biller Information button, make your changes and click the Save Changes button on the bottom right hand side of the screen when you have finished. If you need assistance at any time, please contact our toll free 24x7x365 Bill Payment member service center at 888-918-7646. A friendly member care representative will be happy to assist you.
16. What are my payment type options?
When setting up billers, there are two (2) payment type options. The options are as follows:
- Set Up a "Manual Payment" (up to 1 year in advance) - This option will pay the bill one time only, however, for your convenience, the biller information will remain in your list of billers, so you can manually schedule future payments for this biller, if you choose.
- Set Up an "Automatic/Recurring Payment" — Use the automatic/recurring payment option when setting up a bill, that is due weekly, bi-weekly, monthly, etc. You can schedule the service to schedule and pay "Fixed payment amounts" (for example your mortgage payment) or "Variable payment amounts "(for example, your electric bill) the funds will be automatically withdrawn from your checking account on the payment due date, in most cases.
17. How can I set up a bill to be paid, the same amount at the same time, each month?
This is called a Recurring Payment and setting up a recurring bill is easy. Click on the Manage My Bills tab at the top of the Payment Center, select the biller you would like to schedule automatic recurring payments with, and then click on the Add an automatic payment button. Complete the questions regarding the automatic payment (questions marked with an Asterisks (*) require information) click the Save Changes button at the bottom right hand side of the page and you're finished!
18. I set a biller as automatic but no payment went out this month, what happened?
Always check the "Pending Payments" and/or "Recent Payments" section on the right hand side of the Payment Center to view your most recent 180 days of pending and/or recent payments. If it appears an automatic payment has rolled to the next due date without a payment being made for the current month, the first step is to view the history of that payment. If you still have questions, please contact our 24x7x365 bill payment toll free member service at 888-918-7646.
19. Can I change or cancel a payment already entered?
You may cancel or edit any Scheduled Payment (including recurring payments) by following the directions within the application. There is no charge for canceling or editing a Scheduled Payment. Once the Service has begun processing a payment it cannot be cancelled or edited, therefore a stop payment request must be submitted.
Changing a Payment
You can change any payment that has not started processing.
To change a payment:
- Click Change next to the payment you want to change. — The Change Payment page opens.
- Enter the changes you want to make.
- Click Save Changes. — A message informs you that your changes have been made.
- Click Finished to return to the Payment Center
Canceling a Payment
You can cancel any payment that has not started processing. After you cancel a payment, its status changes to Canceled and it is not processed.
To cancel a payment:
- Click Cancel next to the payment you want to cancel. — The Cancel Payment page opens.
- Click Cancel Payment. — A message informs you that your payment has been canceled.
- Click Finished to return to the Payment Center.
20. Can I "bounce" a bill payment?
In the event you schedule a bill payment and it results in an overdraft to your checking account, the checking account used for billing will be debited $30.00 for each payment-processing attempt the system makes (up to 2). Please DO NOT schedule bill payments, if you do not have sufficient funds available. The system will make two attempts on consecutive days, to pay your bill before your bill payment access is frozen. The system will not attempt to pay the bill again. You must make restitution for the entire overdraft amount, before you can regain access to the Bill Payment system.
We encourage overdraft protection in the event funds are not available in your draft/checking account. If overdraft protection is used from a share type account, the transaction will be considered a Regulation D transaction. The limit per month of Regulation D transactions is six. There is no Regulation D transaction limit if overdraft protection is used from a checking account.
21. Why can't my payment be processed on the same business day as I entered it?
Payments are processed based on the due date you entered for the bill. To ensure your payment arrives in a timely manner, processing is done in advance of the due date - generally 2 business days for an electronic payment or 3-4 business days for a check payment. In most cases, the funds are withdrawn from your checking account on the payment due date.
The Payment assistant, located in the Payment Center, will automatically display a calendar tool, which tells you when the earliest available payment date, for each payment you wish to schedule, will be.
22. What if I have questions regarding the Bill Payment service?
(Toll-free) Bill Pay Member support is available 24x7x365. Please call 888-918-7646 and a friendly representative will be happy to assist you.
23. Can I place a stop payment when using Web Bill Payment?
Yes, but only under the following conditions:
The Service's ability to process a stop payment request will depend on the payment method and whether or not a check has cleared. The Service may also not have a reasonable opportunity to act on any stop payment request after a payment has been processed. If you desire to stop any payment that has already been processed, you must contact Member Services at 888-918-7646.
Although the Service will make every effort to accommodate your request, the Service will have no liability for failing to do so. The Service may also require you to present your request in writing within fourteen (14) days. The charge for each stop payment request will be the current charge for such service as set out in the applicable fee schedule.
24. Why was my payment rejected?
A payment may be rejected for several reasons:
- The biller was deleted before the payment finished processing.
- LFCU received updated link information the same day the payment was scheduled to be paid. This could occur if the biller's address changed or the method of payment delivery switched from check to electronic.
- The wrong account number was entered.
- The biller raised an issue with the account, in which case you'll be contacted by Langley Federal Credit Union.
25. What will prevent a member from enrolling in bill pay?
A member may not enroll if they:
- Have a foreign address.
- Are missing any of the required information outlined on the enrollment form.
- Fail the verification process during online enrollment.
26. Can I use Bill Pay in combination with Quicken or Microsoft Money?
You can import transaction information to Quicken 2004 or earlier versions. Bill Pay does not support Microsoft Money downloads.
27. What does a subscriber do if they forget their password or were locked out of their account?
You must contact Langley Federal Credit Union during Contact Center hours to have your password reset at 757-827-LFCU or 800-588-EASY (800-588-3279).
28. How does Check Free collect funds from an account if there are insufficient or no funds available?
Check Free will first make two attempts to collect the funds from the subscriber's account. First on the due date and the second attempt will be within 2 to 3 business days of the first attempt. If this is unsuccessful, Check Free refers the case to its collections department. While attempts are being made to collect the funds, the subscriber's bill pay account may be frozen. If the payment was made via a corporate check or electronically, the biller has already been paid and the subscriber does not need to send them another payment.
29. Is a telephone number required for Bill Pay?
30. Is an email address required to enroll or access Bill Pay?
No. However if you have an email address listed on your account information, it will be shown in the Bill Pay system, and you can receive payment reminders by email.
31. Can I enroll in Bill Pay if I do not have a checking account with LFCU?
No. You must have a checking account established prior to enrolling for Bill Pay.